So, aside from the monetary considerations, which treatment should you choose and why?
Let’s take a look at what each has to offer and get a clearer idea of how they work.
This is a permanent option for replacing a tooth, including the root. A small post made of metal is placed in the jawbone. Then, an abutment is attached to it, connecting the implant to the artificial tooth.
Pros of having dental implants:
- They are a permanent solution;
- They act and feel the same as natural teeth;
- Because they don’t need to be replaced often, long term costs are more effective;
- It can replace as many teeth as needed;
- They prevent bone loss;
- Easy to maintain and look after.
Cons of having dental implants:
- You might need bone grafting if your jawbone does not offer enough support;
- Initial costs are higher than other options;
- The process takes longer than with other options;
- It can lead to additional dental work.
Dentures are also teeth replacements, but the main difference between them and implants is that dentures are removable. While they can function like regular teeth, the fact that there is no root attached to the bone makes it difficult for dentures to stimulate your jaw. That can lead to various problems in time.
Pros of having dentures:
- They look like natural teeth;
- Dentures can be a fit for almost everyone;
- Initial costs are lower than implants;
- The process is not that long;
Cons of having dentures:
- They require more care and need to be removed for proper cleaning;
- It may take some time to get used to them;
- They have to be replaced more often;
- They last up to 10 years;
- They do not support the jawbone;
Whether you think dentures or implants are better for you, it is recommended to talk to your dentist as they can help you to better understand your options and choose the plan that best fits your oral health.
Are You Undecided? We Can Help!
At Corona Smile Shoppe, we focus on providing individualized health care. Dr. Juan Martinez will first examine your oral health and then come up with a solution and plan that will get you the best results.
Whether it's dentures, implants, bridges, or just a routine check, you can count on us for safe, relaxing, and informative dental health care.
Are you curious to learn more? Get in touch with us by filling out the online form here and let’s meet in person. We promise you, our practice is where your smile will find a home.