This incredible feat is achieved by performing thorough examinations of a patient’s case to make sure they are good candidates for the procedure.
If you’re interested in dental implants in Corona, here’s how to tell if you’re a good candidate for them.
What Dentists Look for During a Dental Implant Consultation
To get cleared for dental implant surgery, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Healthy and sufficient bone: Dental implants replace both the crown and the root of the missing tooth. The metal post needs to fuse to the jawbone, and this can only happen if you have a healthy bone. Moreover, dentists will determine if there’s enough bone mass to implant the post. Patients who have dealt with missing teeth for years often deal with a shrinking and unhealthy jawbone.
- Healthy gums: Similarly, your gum tissue should also be free from conditions like gum disease. This affects how the implant surgery heals and can increase the risk of a failed implant.
- Generally good oral health: Some oral health conditions may interfere with dental implant healing, so dentists will generally address them before your surgery.
- No titanium allergy: The metal post of the implant is made from titanium, which is generally a material most people tolerate well. Unfortunately, if you’re allergic to it, then dental implants are not the right solution for you.
- Appropriate medical history: Patients dealing with certain illnesses or undergoing treatments may not be good candidates for dental implants. These can include chronic conditions like diabetes, undergoing radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and more. These illnesses and treatments can affect healing and increase the risk of implant failure.
What Happens If I’m Not a Good Candidate for Implants?
If the consultation reveals dental implants aren’t right for you, there are two options:
- Getting additional treatment
Sometimes you can treat the issue that’s preventing you from getting implants. For instance, if you don’t have enough bone mass, a bone graft can restore your jawbone's health and help you get dental implants later down the line.
- Choosing an alternative
Dental implants are an excellent way to replace missing teeth, but they are far from the only ones. You have other good options that can provide long-term and natural results, such as dental bridges.
Find Out If Implants Are Right for You
Come see our Corona dentist Dr. Juan Martinez for a short consultation to discover if you’re a good candidate for dental implants. And if you’re not, don’t worry; Dr. Martinez will recommend another way to restore your smile.
Ready to get started? Schedule a dental implant appointment at Corona Smile Shoppe today!